Sunday, January 07, 2007

These Days, My Hangman's Hunger Makes My Gut Kick. My Sleeping Mind Could Map It Blind. A Flask, A Key, A Bag, A Fifth.



Sometimes, you just don't want to think too much. Not everything needs to be wrapped up in a bright bow of complexity, demanding that you invest more than you're willing to. Simplicity is safe. Ignorance is bliss. As I sit here on a chilly Sunday afternoon watching the wind blow the leaves around something fierce, I am content in my musical choice for the moment: Put Your Ghost To Rest, the 4th album by Kevin Devine. If you can imgine a Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie) solo album produced by a slick Conor Oberst then you're halfway to appreciating the understated beauty of this pop gem. Plaintive guitar strums lead to full on cavity inducing chorues laced with just the right amount of melancholy; perfect for reminicing about all the times you wished you told her you loved her so. For your listening (dis)pleasure:

Kevin Devine: Brooklyn Boy

Kevin Devine: You'll Only End Up Joining Them

Kevin Devine: Go Haunt Someone Else

Kevin Devine: Just Stay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home