Friday, November 24, 2006

Build A New House Down By The Sea. Get To The Place We Were Meant To Be. You'll Know It When You Smile.



Giving thanks and/or being thankful for the special things in your life is such a simple premise, isn't it? Funny how it takes a national holiday once a year to spur these thoughts on. Nonetheless, I spent some time yesterday thinking about what I'm most humbly appreciative for. Besides the obligatory family, health, etc... my thoughts kept coming back to one thing: music. It dawned on me that 99.9% of my life is filled with music, or a melody, or a memory. Music is what makes me who I am, and it was these thoughts that lead me to catalogue albums that I'm eternally grateful for. One such album is Goodbye Jumbo by World Party. Essentially a one man band consisting of Karl Wallinger, WP's sophomore disc combined elements of soul, psychedelic rock, and stark, flowing ballads. Having achieved some level of notoriety with their debut single Ship of Fools, World Party returned with an album that was more focused than it's predecessor. With tighter production and assistance from future Sheryl Crow collaborator Jeff Trott, Wallinger created a stunningly simple pop ode to spirituality and love; cleverly realizing the duality that ties the two together. For your listening (dis)pleasure:

World Party: Is It Too Late

World Party: When The Rainbow Comes

World Party: Ain't Gonna Come `Til I'm Ready

World Party: Put The Message In The Box

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the writing in this entry.

It's very focused, very clear, like wet glass that gets wiped clean, allowing just for a moment the perfect view.

The music's pretty good, too ;)

1:50 PM  
Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

What an absolutely beautiful comment. Thank you so much, & as always thx for reading!

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home