Monday, November 06, 2006

You're Left Alone With Something. And I Hope For You It's One Thing. That You And Yours Can Hold And Hold As Something Special.



I never thought I'd ever utter these words, but goddamn Nirvana. Goddamn Kurt Cobain and his lousy timing. Had he not been so brilliant, so urgent, and so neccessary, more people might have heard of Sugar. Indie god Bob Mould; having shuttered the windows on Husker Du, quietly put together one of the finest pop rock groups of the last 20 years. Through two albums and three years of touring, Mould & Co. managed to build off the already rabid HD fanbase by comitting to wax pure pop joy, replete with massive distortion and saccharine sweet hooks. On their debut album Copper Blue, Sugar display power pop charm doled out in 3 minute blasts; never letting up until your cd player begs unplugging. For your listening (dis)pleasure:

Sugar: The Slim

Sugar: If I Can't Change Your Mind

Sugar: Hoover Dam

Sugar: Helpless

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, Sugar, whadda band. I remember NME voted Copper Blue their album of the year for 1992 so I bought it and loved it and saw them in Dublin in 1993. It was a glorious wall of noise. Thanks for reminding me to go listen to them again. They were better than Husker Du.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I Can't Change Your Mind is one of the greatest songs and recordings of all time.

Fan-freakin-tastic.

Bruce K.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You posted four of the best Sugar songs to introduce to people to these guys. Incredible band. I actually like them more than Husker Du.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

Thx for the compliment. And I agree 100%.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home