Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I'm the Monster Under The Bed You Ain't Afraid Of Yet.



So, around our house a lot of different music gets played. The variety is plentiful and on most days everyone is happy with the selections. Until recently. See, I've been on a Ryan Adams kick lately. First was the requesite spinning of Heartbreaker and Love Is Hell, which just happen to be my fave RA joints. Then came the fantastic Jacksonville City Nights; recorded with his new band The Cardinals. But now, it's pretty much 29 twenty-four hours a day. Over. And Over. It's been intimated to me that it needs to STOP. NOW. So imagine my joy after stumbling on the lost sessions for Destroyer; the album Ryan recorded with Gillian Welch & David Rawlings but abandoned hours before going in to record what would ultimately make up Heartbreaker. Listening to these tracks, you can hear rough sketches of a musician/singer/songwriter struggling to find his voice, reaching pretty high sometimes and also stumbling over the lows as well. It's a compelling listen at the very least and a window into RA's burgeoning talent at the very most. For your listening (dis)pleasure:

Ryan Adams: The Poison & The Pain

Ryan Adams: Statuettes With Wounds

Ryan Adams: Hey There Mrs. Lovely

Ryan Adams: Time (The Revelator)

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Grubbs said...

As much as I am a huge fan of Adams' work, I just ran out of gas with following him with JCN and 29. Hopefully he won't release five albums this year . . .

4:40 PM  
Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

You bring up a valid point, one that my brother echos. But in my defense 29 really IS worth wading through. It's got some gems. Thx for the link in your blog by the way, i've returned the favor. Cheers!

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home