Monday, March 21, 2005

Reversal of Fortune

Time is a funny thing. I had the chance to spend some this weekend with "Extraordinary Machine," the un-released album by Fiona Apple that's currently making the rounds online. And you know what? I've changed my mind. This is not a complete album. It's more of a sketch of what could be, if some time and effort had been put into it. Now, I'm no fan of the business side of the music industry but I understand it as a necessary evil. Most times I can be heard cursing executives from every major label for being so completely out of touch with what the buying public wants to hear. But not this time. Sony Music is right. After the brilliance of Apple's last disc "When The Pawn..." this is just such a let down. I don't know what her state of mind was during the sessions for "Extraordinary" but it's quite evident that something's off kilter. I'm not sure if Jon Brion, who is such a unique producer & perfectly molded to understand Fiona's gist, missed something this time around. Now don't get me wrong. There are a handful of tracks that are nothing short of spectacular. "Used To Love," "Get Him Back," Better Version of Me," & the title track are pure Fiona. But the rest of the album comes across like an afterthought. And that's where the disappointment comes in. I'd like to see Fiona and Jon re-visit this album, give it some attention. Hopefully they will, because as of right now, Sony Music has no plans to release this album. And I don't blame them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dodge said...

Well, I said this in the comments of a previous post (mine that you ripped off! - kidding!), but I haven't listened to it all yet, so I will and get back to you on it. Those are some interesting thoughts, I need to hear those other tracks to see! Thanks man!

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home