Saturday, November 19, 2005

This Bird Has Flown.



Usually I'm not the biggest fan of tribute albums. I mean really. What's the point of hearing someone cover something that 9 times out of 10 was fine to begin with? Do I really need to hear Korn covering "Behind The Wheel" By Depeche Mode? Probably not. However, on the recently released Beatles tribute This Bird Has Flown, a respectable group of musicians and bands more than aptly cover/tweak some of the more familiar songs from the Fab Four's catalogue. Check out Ben Harper's skanked-out version of "Michelle" & Ted Leo's manic take of "I'm Looking Through You" to see what I'm talking about. For your listening (dis)pleasure, here are my favorites. All files are You Send It (follow link):

Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals: Michelle

Ted Leo: I'm Looking Through You

Ben Lee: In My Life

Nellie McKay: If I Needed Someone

3 Comments:

Blogger countrygrrl said...

almost but not quite as good as steve earles version of i'm lookin thru you...that is my damnwell favourite..keep up the fabby posts and have a musical xmas

5:28 PM  
Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

haven't had the chance to hear the Steve Earle version although I am a fan of his. Any chance you could email me it? jkarassik@excite.com

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are the Nellie McKay Rumor Has It tracks:
BB Blues**
Black Sheep
Face of a Faith
Pasadena Girl
Just One of Those Things
Baby, You've Got What It Takes**

**Highly Recommended!

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home