Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I've Been Watching Your World From Afar. I've Been Trying To Be Where You Are. And I've Been Secretly Falling Apart.



If anyone can claim to have had their career choice in some way chosen for them, it's Aqualung's Matt Hales; born above his parents Southampton independent record store, with a piano dominating the front room, he was writing songs by the age of 4. By 11 he'd been commissioned to compose his school Song (the melody stolen, he confesses without a hint of shame, from Howard Jones' “Humans Lib” album), by 14 he was co-writing with his brother a clutch of “songs about road safety”. Awarded a scholarship at 16 to study composition in Winchester, by 17 he'd had his first symphony “Life Cycle” performed by a 60-piece orchestra, with Matt himself conducting. No ordinary childhood. No ordinary child. I had stumbled upon Aqualung playing on VH1 one day and immediately dismissed what I'd heard. Sounded like Coldplay crossed with Travis. Yaaaaaawn. It wasn't until I heard Strange And Beautiful that I completely fell out of my tree. A simple haunting melody that has been on repeat on the stereo for at least 2 weeks now. It might've been the wine but I swear I shed a tear the other night. This guy is THAT good. For your listening (dis)pleasure:

Aqualung: Strange And Beautiful (I'll Put A Spell On You)

Aqualung: Brighter Than Sunshine

Bonus track:

Aqualung: Falling Out Of Love (live at Shepard's Bush)

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

I heard "Strange and Beautiful" a few years ago when he first came out and I nearly died. It still can bring me to tears.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home