Friday, August 05, 2005

Let's Have A Nice Clean Cut. Like A Bag We Buy And Divvy Up


Right off the bat I'll admit that I'm not the biggest Conor Oberst fan. He's whiny. He's tempermental. He's a little bitch. Basically, all the things that comprise a true talent. But man can he write a song. I say this after having purchased, listened to, and damned near wore out Bright Eyes' last release Digital Ash In A Digital Urn. What a brilliant fucking album. The dual release of DAIADU and I'm Wide Awake It's Morning was intended to showcase Oberst's "prolific" songwriting and styles. Whatever. Digital Ash was the true winner for me. It showed me that there was indeed a willingness in Oberst's music to push himself; to write and arrange music differently than he had in the past. And that's what makes an artist great: not being satisfied with putting out retreaded bullshit every other year (yes, I'm talking to you Bono!). For your listening (dis)pleasure, one of my favorite tracks off a truly exceptional album:

Bright Eyes: Gold Mine Gutted

1 Comments:

Blogger amanda said...

oh god conor is my indie boy hero. but im quite surprised to hear you like digital ash better than morning. i definately enjoy morning better but its great to hear that. not many people would agree with you.
keep up the great work, big fan of the blog.

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home