Monday, September 12, 2005

X'll Mark The Place. Like The Parting Of The Waves. Like A House Falling Into The Sea.



I got to meet Thom Yorke last year when Radiohead played the Hollywood Bowl. Were decamped at the same hotel as them, and after the show, drunk on Patron, I made my move. Thom was sitting outside with Johnny Greenwood, looking only slightly more uncomfortable than usual. Walking over to his table, I realized I hadn't got a clue as to what I was gonna say to him. I mean really, how do you sum up almost 10 years of adulation and admiration? Was it even possible? Thom started to get up, but I cut him off by the exit. I stuck my hand out and he shook it. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Amazing show tonight.

TY: Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Me: Listen, I just want to thank you for cre4ating such beautiful and amazing music for us all to enjoy.

TY: Wicked! Thanks a lot! Wicked!

As he and Johnny scooted off to the 6th floor where they were staying, I realized that there probably wasn't the perfect thing I could've said to him. But what I did say was decent enough. And he seemed to dig it. Yeah, riiiight. For your listening (dis)pleasure, three of my favorite tracks off of Hail To The Thief:

Radiohead: A Wolf At The Door

Radiohead: Where I End And You Begin

Radiohead: Myxamatosis

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have been using your blog to much enjoyment lately. Thank you.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

No, thank YOU for reading!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lucky bastard! I was front row for that (amazing) show...but no hand shake and words with Thom. I don't konw what I would have said either. I think you did fine. What hotel did they stay at?

1:55 PM  
Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

Chateau Marmont on the Sunset Strip.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry for my english, i'm italian: I was at Leeds Festival 2009 and i saw Thom in the city centre in the afternoon before the show...but i wasn't able to tell him nothing, i was just paralyzed while he's heading toward me...i really thank you for what you've said to him, is exactly the same thing I would have wanted to tell him.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home