Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I Will Bounce You On The Lap Of Silence. We Will Free Up To The Beats Of Science.



I'm going to take a stand. I'm going to throw caution to the wind. I'm going to get up on my soapbox and just say it: I like Antics better than Turn On The Bright Lights. Now, don't get me wrong. As far as debut albums go, TOTBL is a stunner. It's right up there with the some of the best debut albums of all time. With Zepplin. And The Clash. I really believe that. But from the moment my ears were awash with the opening organ chords of "Next Exit" I was hooked. Super hooked. Junkie hooked. And it only got better from there. Realizing there was no way they could improve on their debut, they set out to make a different record, not a better one. The end result is, essentially, an album that sort of resembles the Interpol of old, but more so displays where the band has the capability of going. It's more up tempo. It's got more melodies. It's less droning than TOTBL. That quality served their previous album well, but Paul Banks, Carlos D, Sam Fogarino, & Daniel Kessler realized that either way scrutiny would be aimed directly at them irregardless of how good an album they made next. Though up-tempo songs weren't absent from Turn on the Bright Lights, they were delivered in pensive, steady waves of gloom. The up-tempo songs here aren't nearly as downcast — even "C'mere," in which Paul Banks sings, "The trouble is that you're in love with someone else," turns out to be more charming than self-pitying. I know many people are going to disagree with me regarding my choice of albums, and I'm fine with that. The truth, as alluded to above, is that they will never make a record as special as the debut. What we must acknowledge however, is that in realizing their quandry Interpol ended up crafting something even bettter than they imagined: a different kind of masterpiece. For your listening (dis)pleasure:

Interpol: Length Of Love

Interpol: C'mere

Interpol: Slow Hands

Interpol: Next Exit

Interpol: Take You On A Cruise

Interpol: Public Pervert


Have a snack:

Coldplay: God Put A Smile On Your Face (Hernan Cattaneo remix)

Radiohead: Street Spirit (DJ Tiesto remix)

Bush: X-Girlfriend

Blur: Song 2 (Tim Delux remix)

Coldplay: Square One (team9 Small Town remix)

Depeche Mode: Strangelove (Bomb The Bass remix)

Annie: Me Plus One Via Chris

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could NOT Agree mopre - Antics is far and away my preferred album as between the two.

Have you seen them live? WHAT a show!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

Yup, saw them live several months ago at SOMA in San Diego. Brilliant show.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most.
Overrated.
Band.
Ever.

(Just barely edging out The "Killers", who couldn't kill a fly with a sledgehammer, but at least seem like they enjoy playing their embarassing music...)

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Antics is a departure from the Joy Division sound that plagued TOTBL. Both are great albums, but I think the best is yet to come.
Terrific live and they create great albums a rarity these days.

8:39 AM  
Blogger S.M.T. said...

Antics is a fantastic album, and it's nice to see that Interpol didn't fall into the sophomore slump.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Maki said...

I didn't realize most people liked TOTBL better. Everyone I know that listens to Interpol likes Antics better. Go figure.

For my money, "Untitled" is my favorite song of theirs, and of course nothing else they've made sounds remotely like it. I guess this is what that guy who only liked "How Soon Is Now?" thought about the Smiths.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home