Thursday, May 04, 2006

You Should Get Your Story Straight Before I Start To Doubt It. `Cause If You've Worn Your Lipstick Off I Wanna Hear About It.



So, I'm not perfect by a long shot. There are times when I overlook things and wonder what the hell I was thinking. Such is the case with Phantom Planet's self-titled sophmore album. Laying in bed last week, crippled with pneumonia, I lamented the fact that this album sat on my shelf for over a year before being inserted into my stereo. Packed with haunting melodies and hooks tightly wound up in a ball of distortion, Phantom Planet is the sound of a band coming of age. Forget their debut album The Guest. Forget the fact that they provide the theme song to The O.C. And certainly purge from your mind the fact that actor Jason Schwartzman used to be their drummer. Just focus on lead singer/guitarist Alex Greenwald's killer knack for writing songs that remain in your subconcious long after the album has finished playing. For your listening (dis)pleasure:

Phantom Planet: Knowitall

Phantom Planet: 1st Things 1st

Phantom Planet: Big Brat

Phantom Planet: You're Not Welcome Here


::BONUS:: Mark Ronson feat. Alex Greenwald of Phantom Planet: Just (Radiohead cover)

3 Comments:

Blogger newbobby said...

Dudes, I haven't thought about this album in a long time, but I agree... way better than the guest. Big Brat and Knowitall were two songs I listened to a lot when I got his album. The Big Brat video is actually pretty sweet as well if you get a chance to see it. It shows them in various stages of recording a DIY zombie movie...

always up to no good...

4:34 PM  
Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

My apologies. The Guest was INDEED their 2nd album. Thx for pointing that out and for reading!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow I saw Alex Greenwald live and solo and he is the most entertaining performer I've ever seen live, I loved it.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home